Monday, April 29, 2013

Stuck On The Slow Path

Saturday's Episode, Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS was awesome. We finally got to see the fabled swimming pool and a library that rivals that of the Jedi Council.  We also found out that not only does The Doctor have a name, it's written down in The History of The Time War.  But as much as I loved the episode--and all the episodes this season...and every episode I've ever seen of the show...I have to say I'm a little let down.
I know this whole season is leading up to the 50th Anniversary in November, but it doesn't have that driving feeling that the Amy era had leading up to every big reveal during the Ponds' legacy. There's a lot of talent working on the show, but I get the feeling that BBC is testing the waters for new writers going forward.  This is a really exciting prospect, since everyone needs a place to start, but they need some work with pacing.  
So far this season has been very fast paced with hour-long episodes flying by like the TARDIS took us on the fast path. But I wish it would slow down just a little bit--maybe even shooting a couple two-parters like when the series first re-opened in 2005.  I think it would do more justice to long-time fans and do more to develop The Doctor's bigger story. I appreciate the jump to America, but my Geek Vindication wishes that they'd give new fans the same experience that brought the old fans such wonder and amazement. 
Basically, if I'm stuck on the slow path like normal people waiting week by week for the next episode, I wish the episodes would slow down a little too.

No comments:

Post a Comment