Thursday, April 25, 2013

Geek Vindication

I have never been one to shy away from flying my geek flag. I've been to conventions, spent countless hours browsing comics , playing Warhammer, and much to the consternation of my wife spending hard earned dollars buying card, board , and role playing games on a lark. I've been at the midnight showing of everything from the Matrix to The Hobbit. In 1996 at the ripe old age of 13 I picked up George R R Martin's 'A Game Of Thrones'. My mom bought it for me thinking it was going to be akin to the tame Tolkien tales of swords and sorcery. Oh how wrong she was. Needless to say it took poor Bran Stark getting pushed out a window and I was hooked. I've lived in Westeros from the beginning and was elated when I heard HBO was going to greenlight the series for television. Then became quickly deflated and , yes childishly, became angry. I found myself in a sea of "unsullied" late comers and bandwagoners asking me if I had seen this show.
"It's so amazing, there is this girl named Danielle who is so awesome!"
"Boromir is in it!"
"That Jeffrey kid is a real dick!"
The final blow came from when a good friend of mine told asked me if "I knew that they wrote a book about the show?"
I had lost all faith in humanity. The worst part was that all of these people were people who had previously poked fun of my geekdom. People who had who had characterized me as a hot pocket eating, neckbearded , virgin, because I had a well painted Dark Elf army in my attic where now two feet deep into a world that I had ate , slept and breathed for 15 years! And when I thought it couldn't have gotten any worse , when I thought my head was going to explode from the injustice it dawned on me. These people were flying , many for the first time, their geek flag! This wasn't something I should be angry at. Something to loathe. This was something that I should celebrate. These people where vindicating my life long passion for the Kingdom of Geeknerddom! And when this was fully digested and realized I smiled, because I was right all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment